Oliver's birthday is in July and therefore does not fall within the school year. For friends with this unhappy birthday situation his school does half birthday celebrations. Oliver got to celebrate his half birthday (a little late) at school this past Wednesday.
I always know when a child has celebrated a birthday because Oliver has a bit of chocolate, icing, or some other sugary crumb stuck to his cheek when I pick him up. "Chocolate cupcakes!!!" was the first thing out of Oliver's mouth when I told him his half birthday celebration was scheduled. Since Oliver is not always the most talkative about school I figured that given the tell-tail crumbs and the cupcake shout-out enjoying a sweet treat was the birthday celebration - I was so wrong.
On Monday afternoon Oliver told me that friends bring pictures in to share and that parents and sisters (but not brothers) join in the festivities. I pulled out my (previously unread) parent handbook and found that indeed pictures were suggested and family members were invited to join in. I also read that a "healthy treat is recommended" and the school "asks that chocolate not be part of the celebration." I decided I had better get pictures together, but decided to ignore the no chocolate plea as parents had been bringing chocolate in for five months.
Now my participation in the school bake sale failed miserably. Failed in that I forgot to add water to my cake, and then I made horrible bread that was so poorly packaged that it screamed to be thrown in the trash (wish people probably did as soon as it touched their tongues). I decided to take the birthday celebration and use it as an opportunity to redeem myself as a pre-school mommy. So we headed to Walmart where we picked up a stack of pictures from one-hour photo, a couple large pieces of foam board, and stuff to make ice cream cone cupcakes. Fast forward to the next morning and I successfully (thanks to a really neat carrier for the treats made by crafty Davis) walk from the parking into the school with a healthy snack for the class, the ice cream cone cupcakes, a beautifully done storyboard, and the two kids...after five months of practice I think I may actually have it down!
Enough about me.
Oliver really wanted Henni to come. His teachers were a bit hesitant because they thought Henni might take away from the focus on Oliver. I decided to ignore the teachers and listen to Oliver - he was expressing interest in having his sister participate in an important part of his life - I was going to support that. So at 11:30 Henni, Hollie (new nanny who should actually be named Mary Poppins, but more on my saviour later), and I headed to school. Oliver smiled at Hollie and I when we arrived, and then gave Henni a huge kiss and asked her to sit with him in the circle. Oliver's teacher than asked if he wanted the sun or the sun flower and if he wanted the hugging globe or the other globe. Oliver chose the sun and then hugging globe. With these decisions made the celebration began. The teacher put a huge painted sun in the middle of the circle and then lit a candle and set it in the middle of the sun. We then looked at Oliver's pictures and found one where he was a year old. Then the kids sang a song about the earth's rotation and life and Oliver and the hugging globe went around the sun one time. This was repeated for years two and three. Then the cupcakes were passed around and the kids had the opporunity to share their wishes for Oliver. The included wishing for Oliver to come over and play, for Oliver to get 100 toys, for Oliver to get a car...Then they sang happy birthday.
The whole thing was beautiful and so special. I felt so lucky to be a part of the celebration. I also loved seeing Oliver interact with his friends and teachers -- getting a glimpse of Oliver's secret school life.
Unfortunately I got caught up in the event and forgot to take pictures. But here is one of Rocket from a bit ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment