Tuesday, September 25, 2012
My Girl
Henni is a force with which to be reckoned. She has been this way since the moment I found out I was pregnant (and even a few days before). Henni dances to her own band - and I swear the girl has a a full on band playing in her head at all times. I envision this because of the number of times each day Henni stops what she is doing, dances, sings a little song, and then goes right back to what she was doing previously.
Henni was late to talking, so much so that I was worried and engaged Early Intervention. A couple weeks into Early Intervention Henni decided to start talking. While she doesn't yet talk a blue streak, Henni is now talking, and surprising me with the words she knows.
Armed with her strong personality and words Henni makes sure she gets her point across. She is darn stubborn and also likes things in their place. Shoes must come off when one enters the house and they must go on the stairs to the basement so Charlie doesn't eat them. Clothes should be sorted into their right bins or drawers, toys should be put away, the table should be cleared, and outfits should be changed at least 5 times a day - just for the heck of it.
Henni is seldom without a crazy outfit and without a baby. I understand the "need" for many trucks - each truck has a different duty and therefore it is clear to me why one may need an excavator, dump truck, bulldozer, combine harvester... The need for multiple babies, however, baffles me. Henni cares for the babies and spends much of her day - and night - making sure the babies are swaddled, changed, rocked, playing games, or whatever. Henni has six babies - two are key (and the world may collapse if something happens to Lucky or Bulldozer), the others rotate in and out of the mix. Now I think Lucky and Bulldozer are almost identical (yes, one has teeth and one doesn't, and the shape of the head is slightly different...), but Henni would beg to differ. It is essential both Bulldozer and Lucky are in the bedroom at night. Henni will scream out "baby!" in the middle of the night and immediately go back to sleep if the baby is coaxed back to her arms. However, if the wrong baby (when I say wrong, I mean the one that she envisioned in her head, but didn't voice out loud) is placed in her arms she will sit bolt upright, throw the baby across the room and refuse to go back to sleep. The whole middle of the night baby thing really is quite stressful. There are nights when there is a full night of sleep, others when the awake bit is 5 seconds (when the right baby is chosen), and other nights when there is little sleep as the wrong baby is selected. Why not just offer both babies for good measure - don't go there, that makes Henni mad. And the wrath of Henni...yikes
The opposite of baby-crazy Henni her thoughtful towards others. Whenever she gets a snack out she gets one for Oliver too. If Oliver is upset, she gets really worried and does whatever she can to make him happier. She also chooses his clothes every morning (her selections are now always approved by Oliver, but hey - there is the thought).
Henni is still the only person I know whose eyes truly sparkle. She also makes me laugh so hard and is my helper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment