When Oliver was a baby I read an incredible book called Bright from the Start. While the book is a treasure trove of information, one parenting tip it passed along was to avoid using a phone, computer, iPad...in front of your baby/child as the device will become just another thing which takes your attention away from your child and another thing which your child will see as detracting from time with its parent or caregiver. For awhile I was diligent about this, however, I have long since abandoned this advice - to my detriment.
Over the past few days I have made a concerted effort to put aside my electronic devices which are meant for me to connect, and have instead connected with my children - connected with them without having my Blackberry in my back pocket, without getting on the computer while they are happily playing by themselves. While I feel totally disconnected from the world beyond my little family, I have been able to share in their joy of being children. For example, the other day Oliver and I were talking about spring and buds and leaves. He misunderstood what I said, he thought I had said bugs rather than buds, and came out with the most beautiful statement - "So mommy, one day all of the ladybugs on the trees will open their wings and fly into the sky and leave behind leaves and spring?" How fantastic would that be?!
With my electronic devices no where to be found I also spent a wonderful (albeit sometimes frustrating) day with Oliver mulching. He was so enamored by the project he cried when it was finished and begged for more mulch (he will get his wish as we were a half a yard short, so more mulch will be coming our way).
Had I been left to my devices may have missed my children share, for the first time - a snack.
I also might have missed Oliver painting a tattoo of a dino on his tmuumy (and his subsequent painting of a dino on his arm and the making of tummy prints (squishing his paint soaked tummy on to paper)).
This morning, sans devices, we were all able to go swimming as a family. The smile on Oliver's face when I told him that Henni would be able to join in our Sunday morning family swim ritual was priceless. And Henni's face when she realized the splashes she could make in the pool - priceless.
While I'd love to say I am going to sideline my electronics for good, I know that won't happen. Instead, I am going to focus on reducing my reliance on them to connect and instead focus on connecting with people.
I have this battle constantly with myself. On the one hand, I think my handheld devices allow me to be with my kids more than I would be able to be otherwise; on the other hand, I am definitely not as present with a blackberry/iphone in hand. Let me know how your experiment goes...
ReplyDelete